Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Girl




You will probably be seeing lots of this girl because she is currently the only willing model I have. My two boys run screaming from the room whenever they see my camera, they are both older and a bit wiser and know what is coming when Mummy is behind the big black box.
I took this in front of an east facing window at about 3PM one afternoon, sunny but not bright sun streaming through the window, also LOTS of snow outside to bounce the light. I think I need a reflector for this type of stuff.
Olympus E500
14-45mm f/3.5-5.6
ISO 100
f/4.6
Focal Length 31mm
Shutter Speed around 1/20

I probably could have boosted the ISO up a bit to get a better exposed photo and the focus is not as nice as I would like, although I am starting to wonder if that has more to do with my lens and less to do with me. Probably wishful thinking there. LOL
I think the side of her face closest to the window is a bit blown looking in the BW version but doesn't look blown in the color version, I not sure what happened there, if it is a problem with the photo or the way it was converted.
As always CC welcome!
Second shot is SOOC and the third I have run Brendas BW on it.

First shot I played a bit in PS, I am such a PS dummy so it took me awhile to figure it all out. I burned the blown out part of her face at 1% on the midtones only, I also burned her lips and eyelashes to get them to stand out more, and I used the dodge tool to enhance the catchlights a bit. Is it any better now?

30 comments:

April Michelle said...

She is a doll, I'm no expert but yeah B&W conv is a little blown out but I like it still. Love the color one too. At least you got one model, all three of my kids are getting tired of me and my bff cannon.

Jennifer said...

beautiful model and photo!!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! My dd is also my model...she is getting sick of me though!
Cari

Mandy said...

She is so beautiful. On the first one, I would have lighted it up a bit in photoshop so we could see more of her eyes, but I actually love the black and white of it. Great angle.

Katie said...

I like the black and white...the 1st one is a little dark...cute girl :)

Bobbi said...

She is very pretty. I like the b/w one a lot. The blowm out doesn't really bother me but you could probably burn some of the detail back if you wanted to. Cute picture :)

It's These Little Moments said...

Oh I really like the b/w.

Melissa said...

I have me one of those little freckly models myself ;) Cutie!

Val said...

What a pretty girl! i think a refelctor would have been the ticket in the color one.

Sharon said...

Beautiful shot. I like the original.

Danielle said...

Ditto what everyone else said. Love your conversion.

Margaret said...

What a cutie! I love the composition.

pat said...

I'm not qualified for CC since I don't "do" people, but I really like the color version. She has such soft freckles that they are somewhat lost in the conversion. She's a cutie!

Jess said...

She is beautiful! I love the moodiness of these photos. The b&w is a tiny bit blown but not bad.

Tori said...

Beautiful girl! The bw is a little blown on her right side, but you can fix that in PS... I think in Brenda's action there is a stop for you to adjust curves and levels. You can adjust the opacity, but also use a low opacity soft black brush and brush back in where it's blown out.

Michelle said...

definitely like the b & w--like a pp said you could adjust the blow out in curves. she is a real cutie too!

Tomboymama said...

She is very pretty. I love her freckles.

Anonymous said...

I like both of them. What a cute model.:)

Leslie Morgan said...

I like both too and the freckles are adorable!

me said...

cute model. NIce shots

Unknown said...

Aw she's pretty! :) What a great model!

I like brighter pics...so the blown out b&w doesn't bother me! Great shot!

Kristen said...

Ph my gosh, those freckles kill me, I love these pics, very innocent and sweet!

Stacey said...

Great shot! I love her freckles!

Angela2932 said...

oes she know how adorable her freckles are? She so cute! I really like the color photo and your b&w (top) photo.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful capture! Great catchlights!

Anonymous said...

My fave is the color shot. What a doll!

Tera Fraley said...

too cute!! Love the freckles. Lovely coversions as well. I think they look good, maybe lighten it up just a tad.

Becky said...

I actually like somewhat blown-out b/w shots--I don't know why. I also like the angle of this shot. You don't sound like a PS dummy at all!
I call my kids "The Girl" and "The Boy" all the time--as in, "You take The Boy to his practice and I'll pick up The Girl at school."

Sara said...

The color shot is lovely- I think your focus looks pretty on to me. Yes, the bw's are blown. I would try lowering your opacity when in layers.

Ashley Hiskes said...

She is beautiful. #2 is my fav!