Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Geranium

This poor little plant I brought inside this past fall, after having been out all summer, it did not take to house life well, AT ALL. For quite some time it was just a stalk with 4 or 5 leaves, it is now starting to come around again and push more leaves and I think I even see a bud stalk starting. He sits in the middle of my dining room table where there are windows facing north and east so he gets a fair amount of sun in the morning, but he still reaches for those windows. (yeah I am a crazy plant lady and talk about my plants as if they are people)
I thought this would be a fun photo to play with textures in PS, so no the pink toile is not my curtains. :P
I did a slight color boost on this to bring the greens out, used a texture at about 40% opacity and did a quick vignette with a dusty grey rose color to keep with the theme.

Olympus E500
14-45, 3.5-5.6
ISO 800
SS 1/25
f/5.6

I think all of us who live in snowy cold climate can relate to this little plant, reaching for the sun during the LONG winter months.

NO PSing except the color boost.
Photobucket

With the texture and vignette.
Photobucket

23 comments:

Tera Fraley said...

Love the vibrant green!! The edited version is great too!!

Kristi said...

I find this to be so incredibly beautiful. I feel like plants have feelings too....which is why I have none, because I cry when they do. Yeah, I really do!

It's These Little Moments said...

I can relate I brought in 3 geranium plants and I hoping I can keep them alive until spring.

Unknown said...

LOVE your new banner!!!!!

jordan.krogman said...

I LOVE textures, but I actually like the first version of this one the best just because that green stands out so well against the white. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the texture on the last photo and the light on the original is incredible!!!
Cari

Val said...

Neat! i think it would be cool if the pink toile was your curtains! hehe

Ginnie said...

I think I'm with Jordan, but I really like the texture in the second one... so pretty!

Mom2Drew said...

Your texture almost looks like wall paper...cool.

HeyLady said...

What great color. I prefer the first shot, but I love the green against the white background. It looks so clean.

laulley

pakosta said...

i LOVE the one with texture! so COOL!
tara

Anita said...

I love the texture! Great shot!

Sharon said...

Very nice! (I thought geraniums went dormant in the winter?)

robin said...

Ha - I always talk about my plants as if they were people! And I can surely understand reaching for the sun. He'll be happy when he gets to go back outside and I'm sure he's grateful that you saved him. Looking forward to springtime so I can plant my flower garden. Beautiful texture!

Tori said...

Very pretty! I have to say that I love the simplicity of the first one... but I also love the texture! I have no luck with plants... I had one of these and it died within 2 weeks.

Amy said...

I am simply amazed at what you all are able to do in PS, great work!

Stacey said...

Such a simple and beautiful shot. I love it.

Becky said...

What a great splash of green! I love the composition and the colors. The texture looks great, very natural. I am such a plant killer; I envy anyone with a green thumb.

Ashley Hiskes said...

Very cool! Love that edited one!

Angela2932 said...

I'm impressed. . . with both how the photo turned out and that you kept your geranium alive! I never have much luck with them over the winter. Thanks for explaining the 40% opacity of the texture. With textures, do you use blending modes, or JUST reduce opacity and erase?

Mandy said...

ooohhh...I think I like the first one the best. You can really see the color and the focus.

Farrah Jobling said...

looks great...love the texture!

Suzy said...

So pretty, clear and yet with a soft look. Very nice...