Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Yellow Dog


I opened up the front door today so that the sun could shine in through the storm door and heat us up a bit... and quite frankly I am sick of my bat cave of a livingroom. As soon as that door was open and the sun started shining in, Simon was there curled up in a little ball enjoying a little natural heat. Creature of comfort that he is he never misses an opportunity to get some sun.
He is old and more likely than not, will not be with us much longer. He has gotten more and more feeble as the winter has wore on and I know the day that we must make a decision is drawing near. For now I love to see him curled up, with a happy little smile on his face, enjoying his life.

The light, Simon, and his 'pose' all reminded me of the painting "Master Bedroom" by Andrew Wyeth. I added a texture or two(no my walls are not that dirty :D ) and desaturated it a bit to give it even more of the feel of the painting. If you haven't seen Andrew Wyeth's work before I highly suggest doing a quick google search for his work. Amazing light and color and such emotion provoking yet simple images.

f/8, SS 1/15, ISO 200
Hmmmm I think I could have opened that aperture up a bit. :)

*********** PS ***********
Thank you to everyone who posted such sweet comments on yesterdays post! For those of you wondering it was sunset and that is the scene out my bedroom window.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Simon....you beautiful fluffy doggy. I love the texture on this photo. It almost gives it a painting look.

Jennifer said...

This is so beautiful! Love the soft feel it has. Wonderful composition!!

Kristi said...

Aww...he is a golden retriever? yellow lab? Sweet puppy!! We have a golden and he just loves to find the sunshine!! I just love this photo too...so timeless!

Anonymous said...

Oh that was so touching! He is so cute and I love that you caught him like that! I love it!
Cari

Stacey said...

Aww how sweet! Glad you included him... especially since he may not be around for a long time

Val said...

This photo is beautiful. I love the way you composed it. Just perfect

Ginnie said...

I wish I could curl up and join him. There is nothing like laying in the warmth of the sun!

HeyLady said...

What a great photo & post. My pets are getting older too & I feel the exact same way.

pat said...

YES!! As soon as I scrolled down and saw this photo, I thought of the Wyeth print (my DD has it). This is soooo perfect! Love the soft moody lighting.

Unknown said...

Great composition on this.

Chell said...

Aww great picture, as soon as I saw it I thought of that Painting. You captured the feeling well.

Sara said...

this was a cute pic- until I clicked on it to make it larger. Now it is so warm and fuzzy and sweet! I hope you have many more enjoyable days with your dog. He looks like a love.

cherie said...

so sweet. love dos we have two labs and one of them loves the sun to lay out and relax in

Unknown said...

Awwww. That is such a sweet picture. You totally captured the mood of him! Peaceful little doggy. Great perspective. tfs. Toni

Amy said...

What a sweet doggy! Very beautiful shot of him. I taught Meet the Masters (art class) when my girls were in school and Andrew Wyeth was one of my favorites, I love Christina's World.

Debbi said...

What a terrific photo and very touching journaling to go with it! The light looks so warm - I wish I could curl up and soak up the warmth, too!

Becky said...

I love the composition, texture, and the light falling on Simon! You're getting me all weepy again. Our first dog as a married couple was a golden retriever named Tillie. We had her almost 15 years and she died two years ago. I still miss her every day. I agree this photo has a Wyeth feel; don't you love the Farnsworth Museum?

Thanks for the wonderful compliment on 2Peas, Liz!

Jeanette said...

What a sweet looking dog. Great shot.

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the texture. It does remind me of Master Bedroom, I have that hanging over one of my sons beds.

Margaret said...

Your dog is so sweet. Love the light coming in on him.

mamawest777 said...

love the shot! such a sweet, sad post.

Jodi said...

Love your composition here.

Mom2Drew said...

I really like how the sun is hitting him in the shot, it's so pretty! Your composition is also great!

pakosta said...

he's so beautiful, just love that shot of him all curled up!!! i just love our dog and hate to imagine life without him!
that's sad when they get old! just keep capturing him when you can!
tara

Angela2932 said...

This is beautiful and I love the journaling. I have to try your technique with the texturing and desaturating. My yellow dog, Bonnie, sounds just like Simon. How old is Simon; we're dealing with the same issues. Bonnie's 13.

Tera Fraley said...

How sweet, such a pretty dog!! And Im so jealous you can see that from your bedroom window!!