Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Old Stuff




My Grandmother gave me this little figurine when I was around 4 or 5 years old. For all of my childhood it sat with all my other trinkets in a barristers bookcase. I would open up that one shelf on the bookcase and look at all my special stuff, a tea set from the depression era, a clown candydish with a bobble head, a sterling silver napkin ring with a little sparrow sitting on a branch..... lots of pretty stuff and then there was this snow white. She wasn't shiny or pretty and to my eyes then she was rather plain. Most of the other trinkets from that shelf were broken long ago or are still at my mothers house because they always seemed more hers than mine, but this little snow white has come with me every where I have lived since I left my parents home. I love her old chipped paint, I love that fact that she looks much more 1920's Hollywood glamour than she does typical cutesy Disney. She moves around my house showing up on end table displays at Halloween, to the mantle for spring scenes and where ever else I find she may be needed. She is small, and kind of creepy if you ask the boys of my house, but I like her.

I added a wood texture to this photo first then I did a vignette on a soft layer at 35ish% opacity. Then I created the heart texture and added that, again with a soft layer at 100% opacity.
I wanted to see if I could create my own watermark so I used a scrolly heart brush I already had to make my watermark. It is a bit fussy for my tastes but it fits this photo and I proved to myself that I could figure this stuff out. :D
f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 200

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job on this and I just adore your story behind the photo!
Cari

Jess said...

This is great! I love the story behind her, and I for one think she's beautiful, in her own way!

Unknown said...

I love the texture on this and the story behind it makes it more interesting. tfs.

Chell said...

Aww I love the story behind it. Love the effects you applied.

Ginnie said...

I think you did a great job with the PPing. What's even better is the great story behind it.

Sarah Phipps said...

what a great story behind your figurine.

Anonymous said...

Neat texture and love "her" story

Amy said...

Very nice! I had no idea it was a figurine, I thought it was a child!

Angela2932 said...

I really like the pping you did on this, and great journaling. Photos and words just belong together when it comes to preserving our memories.

Tera Fraley said...

How neat and what a great story!! I love the pping youve done!!

Kelly said...

Great story behind the photo, it gives it another dimension.

Kelly

Mom2Drew said...

I like stories behind objects/figurines, thanks for the journaling to go along with your little statue.

pakosta said...

sweet story!
tara

Val said...

Such a cool shot. i love the post processing

Becky said...

You have wicked cool stuff at your house, too. I love how she's placed in the frame. What a great story!

mamawest777 said...

So beautiful. Love the story, very moving.

Mandy said...

Very cute

Tori said...

what a great story behind this! and good for you making your own watermark!