Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Big Bird




One of the members of my family you have yet to meet.
This is Loki bird, he is a baby cockatiel.
We think he may have been abused at the pet store because cockatiels are supposed to be very social, loving birds and he is very skittish, especially of hands. He is starting to come around though, he will come up onto our hands sometimes if you have lots of patience and I think that eventually he will become the loving bird he was meant to be.
He has learned the first part of the Mexican Hat Dance(the song) and is quickly learning the second half. He wolf whistles all the time and says "A prettttty boy".
He loves Lilia's hair ties(what he is chewing on) as you can see by the look on his little face. When he squints his eyes and puffs out his cheeks it means he is VERY happy. He also gets this look when he is listening to classical music.
I never thought I would love a bird but this guy is such a funny, sweet little bird I can't help myself.

I have yet to get good photos but we also have two budgies(Cosmo and Wanda) who are the cutest ever!! They are what got us started on birds. Now Grady wants to save his money to buy a conure(more like a parrot). You have heard of crazy cat people, I think we are fast headed for crazy bird people. :D

19 comments:

Margaret said...

Love the colors of the bird! We had a cockatiel for a while. His name was Harris. Funny thing is, he only liked me. He would get on my hand, but whenever anyone else came near him, he would hiss! I never knew birds hissed until then!

Mom2Drew said...

My inlaws are real bird people, they used to own 4. I've always thought they were pretty neat and this little cutie is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Those are great shots! What a nice looking bird!
Cari

Michelle said...

i used to bird-sit for people with parrots. very fun although the size of their claws intimidated me. but it was great fun to listen to them talk, sing and imitate. this little guy is beautiful--hope he realizes he's in a nice home soon.

amazing grace said...

wow! his colors are beautiful---i'm kinda scared of birds...but like seeing the pictures!!

Angela2932 said...

These are beautiful! i especially like the first one! My sister was always a bird person (and a cat person, dog person, rabbit person. .etc. etc.) anyway, she let the cocatiels have free reign in her bedroom and put a screen door on her bedroom door. It worked for her (ugh!) and the birds, like yours, were beautiful.

pakosta said...

i LOVE those kinds of birds, though i am afraid of them! i think they are prettY!
tara

Becky said...

What beautiful colors and focus. I was just listening to a radio show podcast and the woman on there had 12 cockatiels that have free reign in her house. I just imagine poop everywhere. I love that you're so attached to him.

Amy said...

He's really pretty, love that first shot! He sounds funny too and has some tricks. I think it is so fun to hear birds speak works and I bet it's really cute to see him dance!

Jason said...

The colors of the bird are great... Nice shots TFS.

Bobbi said...

He is so pretty, love the colors. That is too sad if he was abused, I'm glad he is with a good family now.

Debbi said...

Terrific colors and focus!

Jess said...

He is BEAUTIFUL! My aunt has a parrot, has had him for YEARS and he truly is a member of our family! He comes to all of our family get-togethers and he has "conversations" with the kids- they love him!

Kelly said...

What a pretty bird.. I never had one but have always wanted one

Tori said...

He's a very pretty bird! I'm SO not a bird person.... I'm a little freaked out by them honestly, but he looks really nice!

Melissa said...

Reminds me of the cockatiel I had from a long time ago LOL! DH loves birds but he loves his cats more so we don't have any.

April said...

those are great shots..i love the color.

Sharon said...

I am not a bird person. Love to see them outside but inside they freak me out. However, I enjoy looking at your photos.

Suzy said...

These are great! I love the colors and clarity! Nice work!