Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sunset


Three weeks ago my Grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer as well as bone cancer. Since then she has steadily gone downhill and now we are looking at the last few moments of her life.
I have spent a few days with her this week, taking care of her, talking with her, and laughing with her. She told me the story of how she met my Grandfather, and how they became engaged. She told me how proud she was of me and my kids and made sure that I knew how much I meant to her.
Mostly we laughed.
I am very lucky to have spent these last few hours with her.

7 comments:

pakosta said...

I am really sorry to hear that....it's always sad to lose someone you love, no matter their age. she sounds like a wonderful woman! you are so blessed to have a gramma as an adult. my grams were both gone by the time i was 5....but it's harder on you because you know what you are losing. hugs.
tara

Margaret said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's always hard to say goodbye to someone you love. How wonderful, though, that you were able to spend some precious moments with her. Love your sunset shot. So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad you got to spend time with her that way lately...those are wonderful stories that you will always remember. Love that shot.
cari

Jenn said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother - it sounds like she has led a bountiful life. I'm glad you were able to spend her last moments with her in laughter.
The sunset shot is very appropriate. :)

lcp said...

Oh I's so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My heart goes out to you. I think it is wonderful that you have these days to connect and spend time being together - that is a treasure. I love your sunset and it is really fitting for this post.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

Pretty sunset shot.

Bobbi said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I am glad you get to spend such important moments with her before she passes.

This is such a beautiful photo.